Saturday 22 May 2010

Islay: Saturday 22nd May

It's 7.45am. The sun is shining. This Angler and Drammer finds himself proud that he isn't suffering too much after a night out with pals at The Port Charlotte, especially given the fact that it is the first Feis Ile fishing competition this afternoon.

I'll spend the morning making deliveries and then at noon I'll meet up with David Morris and hopefully get a few tips for the afternoons fishing on the huge and wild Loch Gorm.

I had a couple of hours in the afternoon yesterday on the East bank of Loch Finlaggan. Their was a nice breaze and a good ripple and, initially, lots of confident rises around me. There was a hatch coming off but I couldn't see what it was.

After having had so much success in September with Glen's LTD sedge, I decided to give it another go, with instant success. The fly was being smashed by many a wee brownie, some of a good size too for Finlaggan. I did, howevern struggle to hook in to most of them. They seemed to take me by surprise on every occassion. I'd describe the attitude of these wild Islay brownies as livid and it's going to take me a little longer to adjust my technique and bag a few.

so it'll be off to Gorm then to be part of the competition that David Morris will surely win as ever. He's expecting to catch 100+ in four hours, and I don't doubt for a minute that he will.

Slainte

David



David Wood, The Wine Shop and The Queen of the Moorlands Whisky Co. 01538 382408. Mob 07875 405 980. www.wineshopclub.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: